WASHINGTON (WUSA) -- As people pour into DC for the Martin Luther King Jr. Monument dedication on Sunday, members of the Metropolitan Police Department are issuing parking and road closures throughout the area.
MPD says there will be numerous streets impacted and drivers should expect traffic delays.
The following schedule includes closures for the weekend.
Saturday, August 27, 2011
DC Full Democracy Freedom Rally and March
Assembly start time: 9:30 am
March start time: 11 am
• West on Pennsylvania Avenue at 14th Street, NW
• Proceeding toward 15th Street, NW
• Turning south on 15th Street toward Constitution Avenue NW
• Crossing Constitution Avenue NW on the Washington Monument Grounds
Road Closure(s): Rolling street closures will apply.
National Action Network Rally and March
The following road closures will start one hour prior to the beginning of the march and remain in place until the march ends. The march is scheduled to take place between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m.
• 17th Street between Independence Avenue, SW and Constitution Avenue, NW
• 15th Street between Maine Avenue, SW and Independence Avenue, SW
• Memorial Bridge at 23rd Street (traffic rerouted to ramp to northbound Ohio Drive)
• Southbound Rock Creek Parkway at Virginia Avenue, NW
o All traffic will be directed to Parkway Drive.
o There will be no access to Ohio Drive.
• Parkway Drive at Ohio Drive
o All traffic will be directed to northbound Rock Creek Parkway
• Ramp from Theodore Roosevelt Bridge to Ohio Drive
In addition the following restrictions will also be in place:
• 23rd and Independence Avenue - Vehicles and bicycles will not be permitted into West Potomac Park on Sunday, August 29, 2011.
• Inlet Bridge - Vehicles and bicycles will not be permitted into West Potomac Park
Additional Street Closures by MPD - 12:01-6:30 AM
• Ramp from Theodore Roosevelt Bridge to Ohio Drive (No traffic on Ohio Drive) All traffic will be sent out E St Expressway
• Maiden Lane, SW and Maiden lane merge to Maine Ave, SW (No traffic on Maiden Lane)
• 9th St Tunnel ramp to Maine Ave, SW (No traffic South)
• 17th & D St, NW (No traffic south on 17th St)
• 19th St & Virginia Ave, NW (No traffic on Constitution Ave)
• 21st St & Constitution Ave, NW (No traffic on Constitution Ave)
• 22nd St and C Street, NW (No traffic south)
• East bound 395 ramp to East Basin Dr (No traffic on ramp to East Basin Dr)
• West bound 395 ramp to East Basin Dr (No traffic on ramp to East Basin Dr)
Additional Street Closures by MPD - 6:30 AM-11:00 PM
• 14th St & Independence Ave, SW (No traffic west bound)
• 14th St & Constitution Ave, NW (No traffic west on Constitution)
• 15th St & Constitution Ave, NW (No traffic south or west in 15th)
• 15th St & E Street, NW (No traffic south)
• 17th St & New York Ave, NW (No traffic south on 17th St)
• 19th & Virginia Ave, NW (No traffic south on 19th St)
• Virginia Ave, NW and C street west crossover
• 20th & C St, NW (No traffic south on 19th St)
• 21st & C St, NW (No traffic south on 19th St)
Additional Street Closures by MPD - 12:01AM to 10:00 PM
• 17th & C St NW (No traffic south on 17th St)
Sunday, August 28, 2011
Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Dedication Day
The following road closures will be in effect all day between starting at 12 am on Sunday, August 28 through midnight the following night.
• Memorial Bridge
• Rock Creek Parkway from Virginia Ave to Parkway Drive
• Parkway Drive from Rock Creek Parkway to Lincoln Memorial Circle
• Independence Ave, SW from 14th Street to 23rd Street
• Southbound 23rd Street at Constitution Ave, NW
• West Potomac Park from Inlet Bridge to 23rd Street, to include FDR Memorial. (This will include pedestrian traffic until approximately 6 am)
• Maine Avenue from SE/SW Freeway to Independence Avenue
• 15th Street from Maine Avenue to Constitution Avenue
• 17th Street from Independence Avenue to Constitution Avenue
• Jefferson Drive from 14th Street to 15th Street
• Madison Drive from 14th Street to 15th Street
• Daniel French Drive
• Henry Bacon Drive
• Eastbound Route 27 to Memorial Bridge (All traffic to Rte 50 Bypass)
• Northbound George Washington Memorial Parkway split to Memorial Bridge. (All traffic sent Northbound GW Parkway)
• Ramp to Memorial Bridge from Southbound GW Parkway
• Eastbound Memorial Avenue ramp from Northbound Rte 110 (Cemetery traffic will be allowed to make left turn onto Memorial Avenue to access Arlington Cemetery)
• Ramp to Maine Ave from SE Freeway
• 14th and Independence (All W/B traffic sent north)
Additional Road/Lane Closures by MPD - 12:00 PM--6:00 PM
The following parking restrictions will be marked with emergency "no parking" signage:
• Independence Avenue, NW between 7th and 14th Streets - 6 am to 6 pm on Saturday August 27, 2011
• Maine Ave SW between 6th and 12th Streets - 6 am on Saturday August 27, 2011 through 6 pm on Sunday August 28, 2011
• Buzzard Point - 6 am on Saturday August 27, 2011 through 6 pm on Sunday August 28, 2011
More information about most of the transportation options for reaching the memorial is available online at www.dedicatethedream.org.
Charter buses are strongly encouraged to utilize the RFK Stadium parking lot. Free shuttle service will be provided from RFK to the Dedication Ceremony beginning at 6 a.m. on Sunday.