WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- Home cook Brian Reeve and Chef "Tee" Terrell Danley, stars of the web-based cooking series "Salt & Pepper," can be seen on Saltnpepperchefs.com. Thursday, they showed us how to make some hearty and healthy soups in honor of American Heart Month and Black History Month. Heart disease is American's number one killer, and it affects African Americans the most.
The recipes are below.
Brian's Tortilla Soup
Prep time: 10-to-15 minutes; cooking time: 15-to-20 minutes
- 1 lb. chicken tenders (can substitute favorite turkey meat) seasoned w/southwest or fajita seasoning, grilled and chopped
- 1 (14-to-16 oz.) can black beans
- 1 (14-to-16 oz.) can diced tomatoes w/roasted garlic, onions
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 bouillon cube
- 4 qts. water (or enough to cover ingredients)
- Garnishes -- shredded cheddar cheese, tortilla strips
- In large pot, add ingredients; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Lower to medium-low heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve w/cheese, tortilla strips.
Chef Tee's Sweet Potato Soup
Serves 2 to 4
- 3 cups sweet potato, peeled and cubed (can substitute butternut squash)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- ½ cup cooking sherry
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper
- Add sweet potatoes, onions, sherry, stock to large pot; bring to boil over high heat.
- Lower to medium-low heat; simmer until ingredients are fork tender (about 15 to 20 minutes).
- Pour ingredients into blender; add cream; puree until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with little olive oil.