WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- On Friday, Anthony Lombardo, the executive chef of 1789 Restaurant, demonstrated how to make a Mixed Berry Strudel for Mother's Day. See the recipe below.
- 1 pint of Blueberries
- 1 pint of Blackberries
- 1 pint of strawberries
- 10 oz of mascarpone cheese
- fillo dough
- 1 cup of Melted butter
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- ¼ cup of AP flour
- Wash all the berries and cut the strawberries and blackberries in half, removing the green from the strawberries.
- Mix the berries with the sugar, flour and mascarpone. Set aside
- Butter the inside of the cupcake tin, enough for 4 strudels.
- Cut the fillo dough into 6"x6" squares. Keep covered with a damp towel.
- Butter each layer of fillo and layer the cup with 4 sheets, spread out nice and easy so you don't rip them, also make sure to cover the whole thing.
- Fill with the berries and cheese, fold the fillo over the top to close the strudel.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream
Chef Lombardo will be dishing up a Mother's Day a la carte brunch served from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sunday, May 11th at the historic 1789 Restaurant located at 1226 36th Street, NW. The first and main courses are included in the main course price, which range from $32 to $46. Guests also have a nice selection of house-made desserts created by 1789's Pastry Chef Ryan Westover, which range from $10 to $14. To conclude the day, an a la carte Mother's Day dinner will be served from 5:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.
For Mother's Day Brunch, guests can look forward to first course menu items such as Asparagus and Ramp Soup with crispy purple potatoes and house-made crème fraiche; Mixed Berry Strudel with creamy mascarpone, seasonal berries and raspberry merlot sauce; Guanciale and Spring Pea Tartino with duck egg custard, Taleggio and mixed greens, and Primavera Salad with pickled spring onions, fava beans, white asparagus and green garlic vinaigrette. The main course highlights include Morel and Lobster Quiche with English peas, mixed greens and made in a cast iron skillet; Eggs Chesapeake with jumbo lump crab cakes, poached eggs, Hollandaise and home fries; Challah French Toast with Nutella, fig preserves and Virginia maple syrup, and Duck Hash with leg confit, spring onions, fingerling potatoes and fried egg. For dessert there is Pot de Crème with chocolate cake crumbs, hazelnut, cappuccino gelato and maple kataifi; Peanut Butter Chocolate Cream Pie for Two, peanut butter ice cream, dark chocolate and brûléed bananas; Sweet Tea and Honey, honey and white chocolate crémeux, graham cracker tuile, mango and citrus fruit salad, Harvest Song walnuts and Red Rose sweet tea ice cream, and Monkey Bread with apple cinnamon brioche, apple ambrosia, butterscotch ice cream and butterscotch sauce. 1789 Restaurant offers complimentary valet parking. For reservations, or additional information please call (202) 965-1789, or visit http://www.1789restaurant.com.