- 1 cup matzo meal
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons oil or 4 tablespoons melted schmaltz (chicken fat)
- 4 tablespoons of ice cold seltzer
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Measure and mix dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Individually break the eggs into a clear glass, discarding any with blood spots, and then pour into a second bowl.
- Add oil or schmaltz and seltzer to the eggs and stir gently with a fork until the yolks are broken and the oil just mixed.
- Pour egg mixture into the dry mixture and gently mix with the fork.DO NOT OVER MIX.Treat it like a muffin mixture; if you over mix they will be tough.
- Place in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil on the stove.
- After matzo ball mix has set, gently remove teaspoon fulls of the batter and roll into 1-2" balls and drop into the water.
- When all the balls are in the water leave it to boil until all the balls float to the top, then lower the temperature to a rolling simmer for 40 minutes and your matzo balls will be ready.DO NOT STIR AT ANY TIME.
- The matzo balls may be removed from the water with a slotted spoon and served in soup, with a stew, as a side dish with gravy or placed on a cookie sheet and frozen covered for a later use.