Kellyanne Conway to Clinton: Don't blame 'fake news' for loss

Donald Trump’s former campaign manager has a message to Hillary Clinton: Fake news is not the reason you lost.

Kellyanne Conway — who now acts as an adviser to the president-elect — appeared on Fox News on Friday and said that the Democratic candidate and her team need to acknowledge it wasn’t “fake news” that propelled Trump to a surprise victory.

"I don’t know what her message was to America other than ‘I’m not Donald Trump and you shouldn’t vote for him,' " Conway said. “A little self-awareness would do for a team that is blaming everybody but themselves for this."

During a going-away ceremony for retiring Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., on Thursday, Clinton raised alarms over the explosion of “fake news.”

“It’s now clear that so-called fake news can have real world consequences,” she said likely referring to the fake news story about a Washington D.C. restaurant that prompted one man to come in with a gun to investigate the conspiracy theory.

“It’s a danger that must be addressed and addressed quickly,” Clinton added.

"I take seriously what she’s saying in terms of the people spreading rumors or saying things that aren’t true and possible harm coming to people, but It’s this whole new cottage industry they’re trying to make a big deal of and pin it on one party or one man’s supporters, that I disagree with completely and that has to stop," Conway said Friday.

The post-election analysis done by Trump's and Clinton's teams turned ugly last week at a forum at Harvard when Clinton's communications director accused Trump's team of winning by  “providing a platform for white supremacists.” On Thursday, Jennifer Palmieri defended her accusation by saying: "I decided this was a year where normal rules don’t apply. Speaking the truth was more important."