Hell's Kitchen Chef Rock Harper says no one can touch his vegan version of crab chowder. It's healthy, hearty and full of spicy flavors to warm you up! You'll never guess what Chef uses a the perfect replacement for crab meat . . .
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced small
- 1/4 cup green pepper, diced small
- 1/4 cup celery, diced small
- 1/4 cup red pepper, diced small
- 1/4 cup corn
- 1 vegan chorizo link, crumbled
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup russet potato, diced small
- 1/4 cup flour, any kind will do
- 2 cups nondairy milk
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- ¼ tsp lemon zest
- pinch, nutmeg
- ½ tsp kelp
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- ⅛ tsp white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Himalayan pink salt, as needed
- Coconut Bacon, garnish
1. In a stock pot, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add onion, peppers, celery, corn, garlic and vegan chorizo.
2. Saute until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add flour to pot to make a roux. Cook just until the mixture bubbles.
4. Add milk, stock worcestshire sauce, hot sauce, liquid smoke, lemon zest, nutmeg, kelp, old bay, white and black pepper and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add parsley and garnish with coconut bacon and serve hot with crackers.
© 2018 WUSA-TV