WASHINGTON, DC (WUSA9) - In honor of Halloween, our Real Deal in Real Estate Pros have tips to scare home buyers and sellers straight.
- Do your research on the neighborhood. Get to know the area and research the school system before moving in. Although there may not be a Poltergeist situation in real life, you want to make sure you're comfortable around your surroundings.
- Make yourself scarce during the open house. If you're selling your home, you may think you should be around during the open house to give prospective buyers insider info. But this can backfire and actually make buyers uncomfortable. Leave the work to the agents, and focus on your new home.
- Buying without seeing the property. This may seem like a no-brainer, but you'd be surprised how many people purchase a home after a virtual tour. Virtual tours and social videos are great, but you need to walk through the home to get a feel for it.
- Disregarding the home inspection. After you've walked through the home and decide it's the one, you need to make sure there are no hidden problems. Home inspections can reveal details of the home that are not apparent to the naked eye. Make sure your inspector compiles a report complete with pictures.
- Setting the price too high. We know you want to make a profit off the home you're selling, but you need to consider market trends. Make sure your house is competitive against others in the neighborhood. If you have to lower the pice, people may think there's something wrong with home. The last thing you want to do is scare away your potential buyer.
Happy Halloween & House Hunting!
This article is sponsored by The Real Deal in Real Estate. Contact them for all your buying & selling needs!
© 2017 WUSA-TV