Treat yourself to this delicious & traditional spanakopita recipe in the style of DC famous chef and RAMMY award winner Mike Isabella!
Recipe: Spanokopita Pie Filling
Spinach: 1 lb.
Leeks: 2 ea.
Grated Kefalograviera Cheese: 1 cup
Crumbled Feta Cheese: 1 cup
Chopped Dill: ¼ cup
Chopped Parsley: ¼ cup
Sliced Scallions: 1 cup
Eggs: 1 each
Crushed Black Pepper: to taste
Salt: to taste
1. Remove dark green & roots from leeks. Cut in half lengthwise than cut into thin slices. Wash thoroughly 3 times to eliminate dirt and dry with salad spinner.
2. In a hot pan with a small amount of canola oil saute leeks and scallions together until tender. Remove from heat and place on a separate tray to cool.
3. Blanch the spinach in rapidly boiling water until bright green. Remove from boiling water and place immediately in ice water to stop the cooking. Once cool, drain the spinach and squeeze it dry with either a towel or paper towel.
4. Mix leeks, scallions, spinach, and all other ingredients together in a large bowl with salt and pepper to taste.
Spanokopita Technique: Makes 6 Phyllo Pies
Spanokopita Filling: 24 oz, divided into 4 oz portions
Phyllo dough #7: 6 Sheets
Melted Butter: 1 Cup
You will also need:
1 Paint brush
1 Large cutting board.
1 Clean towel
1 Cookie sheet
1. Cut the phyllo dough into thirds on the longest side. Wrap the phyllo in the towel to keep it from drying and cracking.
2. Remove one sheet of phyllo and paint it with butter. Place a second sheet on top of the first. Paint the second sheet with butter and add a third sheet of phyllo.
3. Paint the top sheet of phyllo with butter and place one portion of spanakopita mix at the bottom right corner.
4. Take the bottom right corner and fold it diagonally up the long side to the left, making a triangle.
5. Continue to fold the triangle up and then across the phyllo dough maintaining a triangular shape.
6. When you have folded everything paint the top side with butter and lay on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
7. Repeat with the remaining 5 portions.
8. Place the cookie sheet in the fridge and let set until the butter cools.
9. To cook, Place the cookie sheet in a preheated 350F oven. After 4 minutes flip each pie over and turn the cook tray around. Cook another 4-6 minutes until golden brown. Serve immediately.
Want more recipes like this? Check out our recipes page and our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for more!
© 2018 WUSA-TV