Here's a favorite recipe from Etete Resturant's new global menu. If you're familiar with Sambusas, these are similar, but more like a spring roll. Cooked lentils are rolled up inside thin pastry sheets and then deep fried to a crispy finish, making a hearty vegetarian treat!
• 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
• 1 Spanish onion, peeled and finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
• 2 jalapenos, finely chopped
• 2 ¼ cups French lentils
• 1 teaspoon dried or fresh thyme
• 3 bay leaves
• 1 tablespoon kosher salt
• 3 tablespoons flax seeds
• 2 cups hot tap water
• 1 1/5 cups balsamic vinegar
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 2 cups sugar
• 1 tsp whole coriander
• 5 pods cardamom
• 1 each clove
The pastry wraps used in this recipe are "Feuilles de Brick". You may use what is available at your local market.
1. Place a large saucepan over medium low heat and add oil. When the oil is hot, add chopped vegetables and cook until softened, 5 minutes.
2. Add 6 cups water, lentils, thyme, bay leaves and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer.
3. Simmer lentils until they are tender and have absorbed most of the water, 15 to 20 minutes. (If necessary, drain any excess water after lentils have cooked. Set aside and cool)
4. After cooled wrap in cheese cloth and squeeze out excess water, crushing the lentils slightly.
1. Place flax seeds and hot water in the blender, blend on high until gel starts to thicken
( 30 sec- 1 min)
1. In a med sauce pot combine ingredients and simmer on medium low heat until reduced to desired thickness
2. Remove from heat and chill for serving later. (reduction continue to thicken as it cools)
1. Place one tablespoon of lentil mixture per wrapper and roll tightly
2. Deep Fry using 1 1/2″ of cooking oil at about 375F until golden brown
3. Let cool and brush with flax gel
Serve and enjoy! If it doesn't work, just come to Etete Restaurant!
© 2017 WUSA-TV