Espita’s Cochinita Cookies are pig-shaped cookies with piloncillo and cinnamon. This an easy and delicious Day of the Dead treat you can make at home.
10 oz piloncillo
165 g water
7 g canola oil
8 oz butter
2 Tablespoons honey
610 g all purpose flower
5 grams baking powder
5 grams baking soda
2 grams salt
2 whole eggs (room temperature)
1. Weight out all ingredients in separate containers.
2. In a medium pot add the piloncillo, Mexican cinnamon and water. Bring to a boil, drop down to a simmer and let cook till the piloncillo has dissolved and the liquid thickens. To the consistency of a thick syrup.
3. After you get a thick syrup, add honey and butter while still hot. Stir till all the butter has melted in to the syrup.
4. In a mixing bowl with pattle attachment, add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt. Mix for 2 minutes on low speed.
5. Meanwhile warm up eggs in hot tap water for 5 minutes.
6. After flour has mixed well, add the wet mixture and eggs.
7. Mix just till everything come together about 3 minutes.
8. Batter will be sticky and wet.
9. Wrap in plastic till ready to be used.
10. Bake at 350F for 8 minutes till golden brown.
Want more recipes like this? Follow us on Facebook and watch us every morning at 9 on WUSA9!