A waitress not only served customers during her shift, she saved the life of a 17-month-old boy.

It happened Friday night at about 6:30 p.m. at Mi Casa Mexican Restaurant in Lexington, NC. Maria Romo was serving another table nearby when the toddler began choking on chips.

"I heard the mama say 'my baby is choking,' and I just ran over there to help," said Romo.

Surveillance video from the restaurant caught the waitress rushing to the table, picking up the child, and patting his back several times. The child began breathing normally again after a few seconds, said Romo.

Customers are calling the waitress a hero.

PREVIOUS: Va. waitress gets love after message of hate

"I think that's really great, especially because sometimes parents would panic," said Emily Towery.

Betty J. Shrewsbury, the child's grandmother, posted on social media how grateful she was for the waitress and what she did.