Wintry weather caused delays and closures throughout the D.C. metro area Thursday morning.
Several public school systems announced Wednesday that they would be opening later than usual due to the snow fall in the area. Early Thursday morning, many schools, including DC, Montgomery County and Prince George's County, Fairfax County and Prince William County Public Schools decided they would stay closed.
The federal government stated early Thursday morning that they were opening with a two-hours delayed arrival and an option for unscheduled leave or unscheduled telework.
BWI, Ronald Reagan and Dulles airports all tweeted that flights are being impacted by the weather and advised travelers to check with their airlines.
Crews have been out all night and throughout the morning clearing the roads. Officials are asking people to delay their travel until later today if possible.
Drivers, who do decide to travel should take the following safety precautions:
· Clear off ALL snow and ice from your vehicle – windows, roof, trunk and lights
· Add extra time to reach travel destination
· Slow speed for road conditions
· Increase driving distances between vehicles for increased stopping distance
· Buckle up and don't drive distracted
· MOVE OVER for all stopped emergency vehicles, highway vehicles and tow trucks.