An 80-year-old woman is dead after a house fire in Capitol Heights early Friday morning, Prince George's County Fire Department said.
PGFD 6800 block of WILBURN DR, pic.twitter.com/Q5sg1eMuk2— Rescue3 (@DCFDRescue3) November 24, 2017
The house fire happened around 3:15 a.m. in the 6800 block of Wilburn Drive, officials stated.
The 80-year-old woman was found unconscious on the first level of the home. Despite best efforts of medics, the rescue crews and hospital, the woman who was pulled from the burning home died from her injuries, officials added.
Her son, a man in his fifties was at home when the fire started. He was able to get out of the house before the fire crews got to the house. Officials said he was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.
The woman has been identified as Elaine James, 80 years of age, of 6806 Wilburn Drive in Seat Pleasant.
A total of 35 firefighters responded to the scene. Damages have been estimated at $150,000.
Officials said the fire was accidental and started in the area of the stove located in the kitchen. No working smoke alarms were found in the house.
Two firefighters were taken to the hospital for their injuries. They have both been treated and released.