An 84-year-old man was found dead after a house fire in Prince George’s County late Friday night.

The fire broke in the 7600 block of Belfast Place in Fort Washington around 11:32 p.m.

Derrick Nauflett says the victim is his father, George Nauflett. Derrick's mom was able to get out of the house and is currently being treated at a nearby hospital.

"He was a rocket scientist, that's what he did as a career," said Derrick. "He worked as a chemist creating rocket propellants for the Department of Defense."

George was also invested in his community.

"My parents had this house for 50 years," Derrick said. "They have been a fixture of this community for 50 years."

He will be remembered for the great person he was.

"He had full life," Derrick said. "He was a great father. He was a great granddad."

Dealing with a loss is never easy, but Derrick says he will move on.

"I'm comforted to know that he's in a better place right now," he said.

Fire officials are investigating whether or not there were working smoke alarms in the home at the time. The cause of the fire is still to be determined.

Damages are estimated to cost $100,000.