CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (WUSA9) -- They came by the hundreds to remember a police officer who served his community selflessly and paid the ultimate price.

Kevin Wayne Quick, 45 was a volunteer police reserve Captain for the city of Waynesboro, Virginia. He was found dead after he disappeared two weeks ago.

"I'm still in shock. He was like a brother to all of us. It's going to take a long time to get over this," Pamela Smiley said, who used to work with Quick at DuPont, before he was laid off.

"You couldn't ask for a nicer guy. He was always up, he was always smiling," friend Donna Hall said.

Quick's family and girlfriend, Yadira Weaver, sat in the front row. She held their five-month-old daughter, Gabriela., who will never know her father.

Law enforcement officers from around the state attended the service held at the University of Virginia's John Paul Jones Arena. Attorney General Mark Herring and Brian Moran, the state's secretary of of public safety spoke on behalf of the Governor.

"Please know that we see Capt. Quick as a hero," Moran said.

Quick left his mother's Afton home late Jan. 31 bound for his girlfriend's apartment in Albemarle County. He never made it.

Quick's body was found Feb. 6 in a rural area along the boundary of Fluvanna and Goochland counties. No cause of death has been released, but six people have been arrested "in association with his death," according to Virginia State Police. Charged with gang participation are Anthony White, 22, of Mineral, Gert Wright, 22 of Danville (also known as Halisi Uhuru), Leslie Hope Casterlow, 49, of Manassas, and Anthony Stokes, 31, of Manasass.

Mersadies Shlteron, 20, and Daniel Mathis, 18, siblings from Albemarle County, are both charged with grand larceny for the theft of Quick's 1999 Toyota 4Runner.

Nobody has been charged with murder, according to authorities.

Donna Hall said she believed her friend fell into a trap, stopping along the road to help someone who looked like they had broken down. Hall believed he did not have his gun with him because "he did not often carry it when he was off duty."

"He was just like that. He had a peaceful way about him. He was always helping people," Hall said.

Waynesboro Police Captain Mike Martin's voice broke as he tried to make sense of his friend's killing. "I believe God needed rock to smash those evil people and Kevin was to be that rock."

"Life didn't shake this guy," Martin said. "No matter what was going on in his life, he always wanted to know what was going on with you. The thing that we can do to remember Kevin is to refuse to let the way he died define the way he lived. Let us not let anger and revenge take away our memory of Kevin."

Wayesboro's Chief Mike Wilhelm remembered a reassuring, confident police officer who was always smiling and was liked by everyone. "I started out angry. How could anyone hurt one of our officers? But that is not what Kevin would want. He'd want me to tell you that everything is going to be okay."

During the service, Chief Wilhelm presented Quick's mother, Vonda, with a posthumous distinguished service medal for her son. Quick served in Waynesboro's reserve police force for 24 years.