Police are looking for two suspects after a Ballou High School student was shot while walking home from school in southeast DC.

The incident happened one block away from Ballou High School in the 3200 block of 4th Street SE around 3:45 p.m.

RELATED: Community in mourning after student killed in Freeman HS shooting

When police arrived on the scene, they found a 17-year-old boy, unconscious but breathing. He was transported to the hospital in critical condition.

Police say he suffered at least one gunshot wound.

On scene, Assistant Chief Robert Contee said it started with some sort of argument between the teen and what is believed to be two suspects inside a dark, Toyota Corolla-like car with tinted windows.

Someone nearby at the time said they heard a “boom”, at least two gun shots and saw a boy on the ground bleeding.

Keyonna Jones-Linesay wasn't there at the time but the non-profit she runs is next door to where Thursday’s shooting unfolded.

"Everyone's fine. Of course, just very disheartening and upset. It's our youth and that's who we're trying to build up. That's who's supposed to take over,” Jones-Linesay said.

A couple of parents at Ballou High School say their kids were told to wait for parents to pick them up before leaving the high school building. This was after the shooting was reported.

Mayor Bowser and other local leaders visited the scene Thursday evening.

"I keep saying put the plain clothing back out here on these streets,” said WARD 8 ANC Commissioner, Paul Trantham.

He criticized the Mayor’s response to violent crime in Southeast, D.C.

Councilman Trayon White said Ward 8 has seen over 20 people shot this month.

"[We’re] leaning on MPD but it take the whole community to stop this violence in the community,” said White.

Metro Spokesperson Dan Stessell confirmed Metro Forensics were called to the scene to investigate whether a Metro Bus security camera caught any images of the shooting or suspect vehicle. We’re told if anything is found, MPD will most likely disseminate those images.