Thanksgiving just isn't the same without Macaroni and Cheese! Here's a delicious recipe for serving vegan guests. It's so good, even non-veganites will love it!
Baked vegan mac and cheese
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 4 servings
• 1 really packed cup yellow sweet potato cooked, cooled and skinned. (May sub regular white potato instead or carrots)
• 1 packed cup, around ¼ of a small cauliflower cooked and cooled
• ¼ cup white miso paste(may sub arrowroot, or corn starch)
• 1¾ teaspoon salt
• ¾ cup | nutritional yeast
• 1 teaspoon mustard
• 1 tablespoon flour see recipe notes if you need to sub this
• 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk( I prefer cashew milk)
• 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (may sub white wine vinegar)
• ¼ teaspoon fresh cut onion(sautéed) or onion powder
• ¼ teaspoon fresh garlic, sautéed (may sub garlic powder NOT salt)
• ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika or chipotle powder
• 1 tablespoon vegan butter or coconut oil
• 14oz macaroni you can use other pasta shapes (may sub Gluten FREE noodles)
Crispy, Crunchy Crumb Topping:
• 3 slices bread or bread crumb topping (may sub gluten FREE)
• 2 tablespoons vegan butter (may sub olive or coconut oil)
• 1 clove garlic (optional) But super delicious
- Preheat your oven to 400°F
- Add all of the sauce ingredients except the optional butter to a blender or food processor and blend until completely smooth. Mix occasionally.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a rolling boil then cook the macaroni as directed on the packaging.
- Pour the cheese sauce from the blender into a pan and warm through over a medium heat, stirring constantly until it is hot, glossy and the texture of cheese sauce. (about 5 min.)
- Finish with the butter if you are using it. It adds a lovely richness and extra glossiness! Just stir it in then remove from the heat.
- Drain the pasta, return to the pan and stir through the sauce.
- Quickly wash out and dry your blender, then break the bread into pieces and place in the blender with the butter or olive oil. The oil/butter is recommended for a crisper, with garlic. Blend until crumbs. (If using bread crumb topping skip to step 7)
- Spoon the saucy macaroni into an oven proof dish, sprinkle over the crumbs evenly then place in the oven and cook for 20 - 25 minutes or until it is piping hot and the crumb topping is golden brown and crispy.
Let cool & ENJOY!