Chicken casserole without the carbs and guilt is what we have always wanted. Now, we finally have it with this broccoli, quinoa and cheddar chicken casserole recipe!
1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/4 cups water
1 package microwavable broccoli florets
12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast in bite-sized pieces
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
6 minced garlic cloves
1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups unsalted chicken stock
2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup canola mayonnaise
4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Heat a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add 1 and 1/2 teaspoons oil; swirl to coat.
2. Add quinoa and cook 2 minutes until toasted, stirring frequently. Add 1 1/4 cups water; bring to a boil.
3. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender. Remove from heat, let stand 5 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
5. Microwave broccoli.
6. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, then add chicken to pan. Cook 5 minutes until brown.
7. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan, swirl. Add onion and garlic; sauté for 5 minutes. Combine milk and flour and whisk. Add milk mixture, stock, remaining 3/8 teaspoon salt, and remaining 3/8 teaspoon pepper to pan. Bring to a boil, stir, cook 2 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat.
8. Add parmesan, stir until melted. Add in quinoa, broccoli, chicken, mayonnaise, and stir. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart glass or ceramic baking dish coated with spray. Sprinkle with cheddar or desired cheese.
9. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until casserole is bubbly.