Making mussels is a little more than just throwing them into a pot, but it's almost that easy. Here is a tasty recipe from Executive Chef Jenn Flynn from Roofers Union in Adams Morgan.
- 3oz Andouille Sausage
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 4pcs roasted garlic, plus a tablespoon of the oil the garlic was roasted in
- 1lb P.E.I. Mussels
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of chili flakes, depending on how spicy you like it or you may omit
- 8oz of DC Brau Pils Beer
- 3oz butter
- 1 teaspoon picked thyme leaves
- On high heat in a hot pan, sauté the Andouille sausage for one minute
- Add roasted garlic and shallots to the plan and continue sautéing for one minute
- Add the mussels, butter, thyme, beer and salt to pan
- Cover pan and let mussels steam, on high heat, for about 2-3 mins. When all the mussels have popped open, they are ready to eat.