We're celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month with the Royal DC's recipe of one of their signature dishes – traditional Colombian-style arepas! The recipe for the arepas comes from the owner Paul Carlson’s mother’s family recipe, which has been passed down for generations from her Colombian ancestors.
• Arepa dough
• 1 C Masa (white)
• 2 oz Fresh mozzarella cheese, grated
• ½ tsp Salt
• 1 1/3 C Warm water
1. Mix first three ingredients together until dough is formed.
2. Make a small patty out of dough and insert shredded mozzarella in the center.
3. Fold the dough around the cheese to cover and smooth out any cracks with a small amount of warm water.
4. Form into a small cake— approx. 4” in diameter — and cook in a cast-iron pan with a small amount of oil over low heat until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
5. Flip and cook the same way on the opposite side.
• Above plus pepper jack cheese
• Sliced Avocado
• Fresh lime
1. Cut griddled arepa in half and stuff with beef, which has been roasted on the wood-fire grill and pulled.
2. Stuff with pepper jack cheese, sliced avocado, and fresh lime.