UPDATE: Where You Can Still Find Free Solar Eclipse Glasses
Update, August 15, 2017: Most locations that were offering eclipse glasses through the Morris Foundation are OUT!
RELATED: Everything you need to know about the eclipse
We've made several calls and here is a list of where you can still get free solar eclipse glasses:
- Chevy Chase Montgomery Library: Only at the library's viewing event Monday
- Alexandria Libraries: Limited supply of eclipse glasses on a First-Come, First-Served Basis at Eclipse Watch Parties both Founders Park and Ben Brenman Park
- Prince George's County Memorial Library System: Several branches will be providing eclipse glasses at their viewing events, registration required in some. Check local branches for specific details. Events will be offered on August 21st at the following locations- Beltsville, Bowie, Glenarden, Hillcrest Heights, Hyattsville, Largo-Kettering, Laurel, South Bowie, Upper Marlboro
- Smithsonian Air & Space Museum and Udvar-Hazy Center: Limited quantity of glasses available on First-Come, First-Served Basis at Opening each day. Additional Glasses available the day of the eclipse at their viewing event.
If you've had luck anywhere else, reach out to us on Facebook/Twitter and let us know where you've been able to find them!
RELATED: DIY Eclipse viewer
A rare solar eclipse coming up in August will require special glasses to see safely, so libraries across the country are giving away free pairs leading up to the big spectacle.
The eclipse is set for Aug. 21.
People are not supposed to look directly at the sun without the special eyewear, as it could burn right through their corneas.
So protect your eyes. The Moore Foundation is providing about two million pairs of the special glasses to about 4,800 libraries in the country.
RELATED: Alaska Air offers charter flight for solar eclipse
Here's where you can get a pair in the D.C. area:
- Chevy Chase Montgomery County Library, 240-773-9590
- Prince George's County Memorial Library System, 301-699-3500
- Arlington Public Library, 703-228-5946
- Mary Riley Styles Public Library, 405-343-6002
- Alexandria Library, 703-746-1735
- Richard Byrd Library, 703-451-8055
- John Marshall Community Library, 703-313-9902
For the full map to find glasses in your area, click here.