In this Aug. 9, 2012 photo, patrons play at Willow Springs Water Park in Little Rock, Ark. The water park closed after health officials said the facility was likely the source of a rare and potentially deadly brain infection in 2010.
(Photo: Stephen B. Thornton AP)
(USA TODAY) -- Kali Hardig, 12, went swimming in a Little Rock, Ark., lake earlier this month-and, in a nightmare scenario, she's now battling a brain-eating parasite.
Naegleria fowleri is a microscopic amoeba that gets to the brain through the nose, typically infecting people who go swimming in freshwater, CNN reports. But it's very rare and very deadly.
"Ninety-nine percent of people who get it die," says a health department official with the state, which has seen just five confirmed cases of primary amebic meningoencephalitis between 1962 and 2012.
CNN identifies a sandy-bottomed lake at Willow Springs Water Park as the likely source of Kali's infection.
Another case was linked to the water park in 2010, and the department of health has asked the park to shut down; it complied. The girl's mom tells the Christian Post, "I couldn't get her fever down. She started vomiting. She'd say her head hurt really bad. She cried, and she would just look at me and her eyes would just kind of roll."
Kali was admitted to the hospital on July 19 and put into a medically-induced coma. Her mom tells Fox 16 she wants to raise awareness of the importance of nose clips while swimming in rivers or lakes.
She is confident Kali will beat the odds, but ABC News notes that just one of the 128 people infected with Naegleria fowleri in the US over the last five decades survived.
(Swimming proved deadly for another girl-though for a much different reason-last week.)
If you want some innovative, but equally stomach-turning, news, you may be interested in "Study: Teeth can be made from urine."
Newser is a USA TODAY content partner providing general news, commentary and coverage from around the Web. Its content is produced independently of USA TODAY.