WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- Healthier selections for healthier lifestyles is the new philosophy behind the Silver Diner's new menu.
See Chef Ype's Santa Fe Oven Roasted Veggies and Quinoa Recipe.
1 Med. Butternut Squash
1 Lb. Brussels Sports
2 Med. Red Beets
1 Med. Eggplant
Seasonings - mix together - reserving 2 tbsp.
½ cup Olive Oil
½ cup Agave
1 Tbsp. Dried Thyme
1 Tbsp. Sea Salt
Prepared according to directions on package for 2 cups prepared - once cooked, before Quinoa cools, add 1 Bay Leaf, sea salt & garlic to taste; fluff with fork to mix.
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees
- Wash all the veggies well
- Cut butternut squash in half, remove seeds and peel. Cut into ¾" chunks
- Cut off stems and remove outer leaves of Brussels Sprouts, cut sprouts in half.
- Peel red beets and cut into ¾ " cubes - keep separate from other veg, so the color does not run
- Lastly, cut eggplant into ¾ " thick slices then into ¾" cubes
- Mix Eggplant, Sprouts & Squash in a bowl with above seasoning mix (less 2 reserved tbsp.).
- Spread veggies evenly in a single layer on sheet pan for roasting
- In a separate bowl mix reserved seasoning mix with red beets
- Spread evenly on a small sheet pan for roasting
- Place Veggies in preheated oven and cook for 20 to 25 minutes until veggies are just about cooked (Edges of sprouts will start to caramelize and beets will still be firm)
- To keep veggie colors from running, mix just before plating
- 1 small can - Black Beans - drained
1 Oz. - chopped Pickled Jalapeño - reserve liquid
3 Tbsp. - chopped Fresh Cilantro (+ 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro for garnishing on plate)
1 Oz. - chopped Scallions
2 Oz. - chopped Red Onion
1 each - small chopped Red & Yellow Pepper chopped
1 Med - chopped Tomato
2 Tbsp - reserved Jalapeño vinegar
Mix all ingredients well. Heat in small sauté pan until warm and mix with prepared, seasoned Quinoa
Place warmed Quinoa & Oaxaca Salsa on plate, top with roasted mixed veggies and garnish with chopped fresh cilantro. Optionally, garnish with chopped dried apricots and/or store bought Salsa Roja.