BETHESDA, Md. (WUSA9) -More than 400 hotel guests have relocated and one man is critical condition following an early morning explosion and evacuation at the Hyatt on Wisconsin Avenue in Bethesda.
We are told an explosion was heard at 1 a.m. at the Bethesda Hyatt Regency hotel.
Fire officials say the fire started in an underground electrical roomon parking level 5. A worker in that room who was performing maintenance was injured, and his crew took him to the hospital, said fire officials. We are told that he has severe burns and he is in critical yet stable condition.
No one else was hurt, say authorities.
The fire was contained in the room because of a suppression sprinkler system, said fire officials. They say Pepco had to arrive to shut down power before firefighters could extinguish the fire.
One family told WUSA 9 off camera that there was fire in the stairwell. But Assistant Fire Chief Scott Graham had no report of flames in the stairwell. He believes smoke from the ventilation system may have sent smoke up the stairs. He insists guests were never in any danger.
The hotel guests were taken to Bethesda Chevy Chase High School temporarily. Fire officials said management worked with other properties in the area to get rooms for guests who still needed them.