TIMONIUM, Md. (WUSA) -- Officials with the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and the Baltimore County Department of Health are investigating after they say three people were hospitalized after getting liposuction at a cosmetic surgery center in Timonium. According to officials, one person died after being hospitalized.
Officials have closed Monarch Med Spa in Timonium while they investigated the cluster of severe invasive Group A Streptococcus (GAS) infections. They say the three people had procedures there between mid-August and mid-September.
If you had any procedure at Monarch Med Spa recently and have had an infection, officials encourage you to talk to your doctor and notify your local health department.
Symptoms of Group A Streptococci (GAS) include
- Fever or influenza-like syndrome
- Redness at a wound site
- Abrupt onset of generalized or localized severe pain and swelling, often rapidly increasing
- Progressive dizziness, weakness and confusion
According to health officials, the bacteria is normally found in the throat and on the skin and is "spread through direct contact with mucus from the nose or throat" or "through contact with infected wounds or sores on the skin or by contact with contaminated surfaces."
For more information, click here: http://on.wusa9.com/Ujq1EK
According to the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, in the past five years an average of 189 cases of invasive GAS were reported each year in Maryland. About 9,000 to 11,500 cases of invasive GAS disease occur each year in the United States. There are between 1,000 to 1,800 deaths per year.